3.5 lbs Jersey pattern single bit axe with a 36? curved handle. Sometimes referred to as a “Baltimore Jersey” pattern, this shape features lugs or ears which increase the surface contact area with the handle. The geographic origins are self explanatory. The earlier Kentucky and North Carolina patterns were somewhat similar. A full sized felling axe for general axe chores. Cutting edge is approximately 5” in overall length and the poll is square.
- Head made from forged tool steel
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting
- Designed to exceed ANSI standards–edge is Rc 48-55 in hardness at 1.25″ back from cutting edge (the poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in their forged condition)
- Sport Utility Finish: head coated with boiled Linseed Oil over the forged finish
- American hickory handle, eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge–the serrated edge improves bite and the aluminum material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond (about 1/4″ of the handle is actually removed during assembly)